Get creative and show some love to your pets this spring by making them one of these easy DIY Dog Tags!
Whether they are real pets or made of cuddly plush (or even if they are imaginary!), they will look great wearing the handmade pet collar tags that you created with love!
Did you know?
Dog tags make it much easier for your pet to be returned to you if they should get lost!
Even if your pet is microchipped, vets suggest that you include your cell phone number on your tag to make it much easier and faster for people to contact you.
Afterall, we love our pets like family, and we never want to be away from them for very long!
This tutorial will show you how to make colorful and fun tags that you can draw yourself!
They are perfect for your doll’s pets, and you can add them to your real pet’s collar, too!
(Just remember, you might need to keep your pet’s official, metal pet tags in place as well. If you’re not sure, check with an adult!)
**Safety First! These DIY Dog Tags require the use of sharp scissors and a hot oven. Please get help from and adult to make sure that you can do this craft project safely!**
- Shrinky Dinks® Bright White Creative Pack (available in craft department of your local department store)
- Permanent markers (black and various colors)
- Scissors (ideally very sharp – get an adult to help you!)
- A hole punch
- Jump rings (to secure to pet collars)
1. Draw or trace your bone design (or any design of your choice) onto the Shrinky Dinks® paper (making sure it’s 2-3 times larger than the final size you desire, because they shrink after baking)
2. Punch a hole in the tag before placing it in the oven
3. Put the final tags into a preheated 325oF oven on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper for 1-3 minutes
4. The tags will start to curl in the oven, and then magically lay flat again.
Wait 30 more seconds and remove from the oven.
5. Add a jump ring so you can secure it to your pet’s collar.
You now have a cool, handmade tag for your pet!!
If you have extra materials from this craft and are looking for a fun and creative way to use them, why not make a gift for the special adult in your life with the DIY Mother’s Day Keychains tutorial!
Looking for the perfect pet to adopt for your Our Generation Dolls? Discover all kinds of great pet-themed dolls, pets, and accessories in the Our Generation Pet-Themed Gift Guide,
and explore all of the pet-themed items in the Our Generation Pet Theme Collection!
Read all about our Leslie, featured Doll of the Month, in her Pawsitively Awesome Interview with Leslie!
For even more ways to have fun with your Our Generation dolls and pets, check out the Pup Adoption Certificate, the Veterinarian Pup Check-Up, and the Furry Friends Word Search in our Fun Stuff – OG Activities section, and share your doll’s pet stories with us on Facebook and Instagram (@ogdolls)!